Taurine is an amino sulfonic acid that acts as a conditionally essential amino acid for humans. Taurine is a mysterious and unique amino acid that appears to have great potential for enhanced performance, mental vigilance and health benefits.
While the exact mechanisms behind taurine actions haven’t been established, the available data on human and animal model trials shows promise for an effective ergogenic related amino acid to support skeletal muscle function and mitigate central nervous system oxidative stress.
Benefits of taking L-Taurine
- Eye health: Taurine is found in high concentrations to provide retinal support
- Gall bladder support: Bile salt conjugation (production) to help with fat digestion
- Cell development: Taurine is 4-5 times higher in developing brains than adult brains
- Neuroprotection and regulation: Taurine is proposed to act similar to a neurotransmitter and exert similar activity and metabolism to Gamma-aminobutyric acid, or GABA which acts to control over-excitation of neurons and anxiety.
- Mitochondrial support: Oxidative function allowing efficient ATP production in neuronal cells and anti-oxidation
- Cell protection: Taurine displays various cytoprotective (cell-protecting) attributes through cell calcium homeostasis, membrane stabilization, osmoregulation and mitochondrial function
- Improve lipid metabolism: Taurine appears to increase fatty acid utilization during exercise and at rest